Yarn: DK/Sport weight “Smart” yarn from “Sandnes Garn”, in gold (2527), lilac (4622 – I think!) and blue-grey (6162). Here is the Ravelry project page for the mittens.
Pattern: My own mashed-up pattern, based on lots of different traditional patterns. And a lot of math (sometimes poor math).
Techniques: Colorwork, tubular cast on, gusset thumb, twisted stitches for the smaller cuff.
I bet you’ve seen that I went to Ireland a little while back, to celebrate our friends’ wedding. You know, the thing I made that wonderfully swanky mustard colored dress for? Yeah, that wedding. Even back when we got the save the date-card, I knew I wanted to make the gifts. At first I toyed with the idea of fisherman’s sweaters for each of them, but then I realized that 1. I probably didn’t have enough time to handknit two cabled sweaters, and 2. I didn’t know if that would be up their alley, style-wise.
Having lived in Chicago for three years, I knew one thing that made the brutally cold and windy winters a little more bearable – proper colorwork mittens. The wool and the double layer of yarn mean that they are surprisingly windblocking, and definitely very warm. So there it was! I would make them mittens. But what pattern, and what colors? After a quick decision to make them in a same-ish pattern in different colors but with a common neutral color, we did some investigating. I got John to probe the groom-to-be about what colors he liked to wear (orange and green, I think he said), and I snooped around the future bride’s pinterest wedding inspiration board and realized there was a lilac and grey color scheme going on. Done! Dusty lilac for her, funky gold for him (and he’s a funky dude, so I think it’s a good fit!)
I have to say, I have a whole new respect for colorwork mitten designers now. Not only do you have to consider the total number of stitches for size, but also the repeat of the pattern for the palm must work with the amount of increases for the thumb as well as the decrease for the top, and the repeat pattern after the cuff needs to be divisible too, and… Phew! I’ll be leaving this to the pro’s for now, I think! I also had to size down the main star pattern for the smaller mitten, but that actually went surprisingly smooth once I figured out where I could omit some rows.
I wanted something to make the mittens more personal, and to be a reminder of the wedding day and celebrations. I considered working the date in there somehow, but finally decided that I liked the thought of their initials better. I wish I would have been able to make the letters a bit more balanced to suit my symmetrical eye, but that’s being a bit nitpicky. All in all I really am pleased how they came out, and of course – I hope they get lots of wear in the bitter Chicago winters. I’d love to see them all worn to bits in a handful of years, from constant use!