putting birds on it

I blame this on the winter – the fact that there is no daylight besides the hours I’m at work. The fact that winter in Bergen means rain, and the fact that rain means dark skies even during the weekend. And a little bit of my own laziness. Who wants to take pictures of clothes in dreary light when they can sit by the fire and knit? Not me!


But here it is! I took a picture. (well, John took a picture because I sucked at it, and he is much better at it anyways. Thanks John!)

Fabric: I’m calling this a polyester crepe georgette. Bought at Vouge Evanston this summer for a whopping $1.99 a yard! It has birds on it, so I guess I’m officially on that train, just four years too late, haha.
Pattern: Tiny pocket tank by Grainline Studio.
Techniques: FBA, bound seams with store-bought bias tape.

Check out the birds! They are a dark, dark navy, and there are leaves too.

It’s another Tiny pocket tank! Which makes it number 4 (well, 5, if you include the one I made as a present for a friend which I might not take a picture of. Maybe I should.), so needless to say I love this pattern! It’s a great versatile basic that doesn’t take too much fabric to make, and certainly fits into my wardrobe beautifully – while looking totally store-bought, which I do enjoy.


I applied the bias tape a little differently than the instructions, but I wanted a visible contrast fabric on this top. I stitched it on to the wrong side of the fabric first, sewing just inside the fold line with thread that matched the fabric, not the bias tape. Then I folded the bias tape in half and over to the right side of the fabric, matched it to the almost invisible stitchline I just made, and edgestitched in a color that matched the bias tape. This is the neatest way I’ve found to do this kind of binding.

I did an FBA on the previous Tiny pocket tank I made, the one in turquoise silk, but it made for a very severe bust dart. At the same time I noticed pulling in the neckline curve in the front, as if it was too small across the upper chest. The more I thought about it the more it made sense that this happened. Doing a FBA is to provide more room for a bigger chest, but that big-ness isn’t found just towards the side where we usually add a bigger dart, but all around the breast. For this version I moved almost all of the increased dart and pivoted it to the center front point (right in the middle of the neckline, radiating from the apex), and trued out the wonky line I got from the gap. I chose to follow the lower CF point and true away the weird wedge sticking out, but I ended up with a weeee too low of a neckline, haha!


I will fix that for the next version, along with a couple of other things – the bust dart can be lengthened a little (right now it ends a little awkwardly), the rest of the increased dart from last time can be pivoted to the armhole, and all my alterations has led to a slightly off-balance side seam. Thankfully I have about a bazillion more of these tops to make, so plenty of time to perfect the fit!


2 thoughts on “putting birds on it”

    1. I took my two wool cardigans off for the pictures. Haha! No way could I walk around in just the tank-top – only for the photos!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s